Teams are not magic bullets, yet they can help make the business a huge success. Not everyone is a team player; good team players are made by using their individual skills to complete the team recipe. No one wants a person on a team that does not want to be there; they just stall any progress.
How do you put a team together?
The Project Manager/Leader must be aware of how teams work. The team is accountable to each other, and they will eventually act as one. The Project Manager is the team leader and knows that teams require guidelines and need values of its own. Commitment, contribution, communication and cooperation are the four values or cornerstones of the foundation of any capable team or business.
- If one is not committed to the plan and the team, nothing will work. Until there is commitment there is nothing. Being committed means being charged with a responsibility for a particular result. In this time of quicker and faster, not many take the time to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
What being on a team truly implies is giving up your ideals for something greater than yourself.
- Differences are what make a team exciting. Not everyone on the team needs to be alike. I look at a team as a microcosm of the world. The team is your community if you were sliced off the end of the earth. You must trust and be accountable to each other.
The manager/producer/director may lead the team, but allows the individuals on the team to blossom and grow. No throwing cold water over anything new or different! Teams can be about change and that is their greatest strength. Various people on teams bring an abundance of creativity – a total windfall!
- At the beginning of any meeting, everyone should be heard briefly, without interruption. This is an opportunity to settle in, to connect before the real work starts. Continue the process with everyone offering information about them, including that sense of humor sometimes missing in the workplace. Teams can be enjoyable and fun, but no one will know that unless team members relax and lighten up.
- Pool all the resources and ideas of each individual while putting aside personal goals for the objective of the team. The significance of cooperation is to work together in a relationship and that requires patience. A reminder: everyone on the team is an equal. Some may try to override others on the team and they will need to be wisely handled by the Project Manager.
5 Steps to Achieve Work/Life Balance (it’s free!)
Latest posts by Joanne Victoria (see all)
- How Techies & Non-Techies Can Live a Stable and Happy Life Even Though They Work Their Butts Off - June 25, 2019
- Are We Born with Useful Skills? - June 24, 2019
- Back Away From Angry People - June 23, 2019